Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cook This: Crunchy Kale Chips.

I fought this one for long. Kale chips? Sounds awful delicious, right?  I'd had them before. My husband would buy them at the coop and eat them as if they were going out of style. I thought they were ok but certainly not worth $6 a bag.  Last weekend my sister came to visit and saw the piles of kale that we'd harvested (more about our garden project in another post) just sitting in the fridge. She talked me into trying kale chips. I have to admit, I'm glad she did. The recipe took a bit of tweaking but it's official: I'm a kale chip addict. I've eaten an entire head of kale a day for the last 3 days and it's not looking like I'm letting up any time soon. And by the way...my 4 year old loves them too!



1. Preheat your oven to 300. If you have a convection function it will speed things up a bit.
2. Take a head of kale, wash well, and tear into pieces about 3 x 3 inches.
3. Spin in a salad spinner or lay out on a dishtowel to dry thoroughly.
4. Once dry put in a plastic bag that you can use to shake up the kale with oil (I use the kind of bag that they provide at the supermarket for your vegetables), use about 1 TBSP+ of olive oil and 2-3 TBSP of flaked nutritional yeast. Shake shake shake.
5. Pour out onto baking sheets in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes. I've found that one head of kale will fill about 3 baking sheets. The kale may need to be tossed or flipped midway if it's still moist after about 10 minutes. It's done when the pieces are crisp and crunchy and not moist. Don't brown it though or it will get bitter.
6. After pulling out, sprinkle with salt to desired taste. 

 You could also add cayenne to the brewers yeast before you put on the kale, or use a different spice mix altogether. I'm going to try it this weekend without the brewers yeast and instead just use truffle salt. It may be a bit of an odd combination, I'm not sure. I'll let you know!

1 comment:

Christine O'Donnell said...

We love kale chips and make them all the time! Jackson's favorite snack, yum!