Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cook This: Onion, Bacon and Broccoli Quiche

This recipe started out as a tart recipe from Cook's Illustrated. I love this magazine because they not only print recipes, but also cooking techniques. My cooking is all self taught and now that I'm spending every Sunday in the kitchen, I'm thrilled to learn a bit more about how to prepare things more easily and with better results. After finding this mag I learned that there is a companion cooking show on PBS called America's Test Kitchen. We don't have cable so I thought I didn't have quality cooking show options (I'll pass on Rachel Ray, thank you). This show was a pleasant surprise.

The photo to the left was lifted directly from the ATC website. Please note that I did alter this recipe and the final product will be more like quiche than a tart so it won't look exactly like the photo above. 

The original recipe calls for a homemade crust. Thus far I can't seem to get myself to take the time to do that, so I purchased a whole grain spelt pie crust at our local health food store. It's a bit sweet for a quiche so I'd like to try to make the crust myself at some point...I'll keep you posted. 

Ingredients:
  • 4-6 ounces bacon cut into small pieces (optional)
  • 3/4 cup of broccoli cut into very small pieces. You can also use the stem if you peel it first.
  • 1 1/2 pounds onions , halved through root end, peeled, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices (about 6 cups.) Click here for tips on cooking onions.
  • 1-2 T oil safflower or olive oil.
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I left this out because the bacon was salty enough.)
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme.
  • 5 large eggs.
  • 3/4 cup MimicCreme (calls for half and half but we don't eat dairy.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Pour oil into sauté pan and heat over medium flame. Add onions and once they start slightly browning, turn down to medium-low and add thyme sprig. Cook to desired finish. I tried cooking soft as well as caramelizing and decided that cooking just soft is better or they just get too sweet. This should take about 20-30 minutes.

2. While onions are cooking pre-cook pie shells until just golden. Take out and cool.

3. In another pan, cook bacon to desired finish (you could also do this with turkey bacon or veggie bacon.) Remove and drain on paper towel. Pour out bacon grease into a jar for disposal (never down the drain...)

4. Sauté broccoli in bacon pan until just soft. If you are skipping the bacon, just use a little bit of olive oil.

5. In a large bowl mix eggs, MimicCreme (or half and half), black pepper, and salt if desired.  

6. When onions are done, remove thyme and cool slightly before mixing with egg/cream mixture, add broccoli, mix thoroughly and pour into 2 (whole grain) pie or tart crusts.  

7. Sprinkle liberally with bacon.  

8. Bake pies on a baking sheet until centers are set.

Cool for at least 20 minutes before eating.  

I usually will be cooking something else between steps so it doesn't seem like it takes quite so long. Absolutely delish though, and great for lunches too! I bet it could be doubled and frozen, I'll try that next time.

Enjoy!
-Dr Samantha 

No comments: