Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cook This: Juniper Brined Pork Chops, Vegan Caramelized Shallot Mashed Potatoes and Sauteéd Green Beans

Heading into my last day of vacation I wanted something delicious but not too complicated. I remembered that I tried this recipe once before and had some kinks to work out so was excited to get back to it.

I found this recipe on the foodandwine.com (photo is from the site, not my kitchen, see link for credit). Usually I mess with recipes but this time just prepared them as-is so instead of copying the recipe verbatim I'm linking. The first time I made these they were a bit tough. It turned out I missed the "double cut" part. I used the correct cut, was more careful this time, and it was better but still not perfect. Next time I'll check them at 20 minutes and not wait the recommended 30 minutes.

The recipe calls for brining chops for 2 hours (enough time to clean the kitchen from the rest of my cooking and hop on the spinning bike for a quick workout) then browning chops and placing in the oven for about 35 minutes. I made my potatoes and green beans earlier but the oven time is just about exactly how long you need to make the potatoes and green beans.  And yes my husband took my kid out today.



Caramelized Shallot Mashed Potatoes. 
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lbs mashing potatoes (there is never any agreement on this...I use yellow potatoes)
  • 1 TBSP soy-free Earth Balance
  • 1/4-1/2 cup (your preference) MimicCreme or organic cream/half and half if you want dairy.
  • 3-4 large shallots sliced into crescents
  • 2 TBSP olive oil

1. Cut potatoes into 2 inch chunks and put in saucepan with water just covering. Bring to a boil then simmer until soft.

2. While potatoes are cooking cook shallots on low until they are first soft and sweet, then continue to cook until they get slightly crispy. (If you're doing green beans you can wash and cut at this time.)

3. Once potatoes are soft, drain 90% of water and start to mash with potato ricer or fork. Add Earth Balance and cream to preferred taste and texture.

4. Add carmelized shallots and any cooking oil left in pan to potatoes. Mix and season with salt and fresh ground pepper if desired.

If you're trying to do lower carb, this recipe might work with cauliflower as well. I'll try it and let you know how it goes. 

Sauteéd Green Beans

In Shallot pan, saute washed and dried green beans (I like to cut them in half) until done to taste. If you have it, sprinkle with a little truffle salt before serving. It's spendy but a jar goes a long way. I also love to use truffle salt on popcorn. Delish. 

Enjoy!
-Dr Samantha

No comments: